Sunday, February 7, 2010

For the woman with everything except a Mr. Darcy of her own. An invitation to Austenland.

Austenland - Shannon Hale
Pembrook Park, Kent, England. Enter our doors as a house guest come to stay three weeks, enjoying the country manners and hospitality-a tea visit, a dance or two, a turn in the park, an unexpected meeting with a certain gentleman, all culminating with a ball and perhaps something more... Here, the Prince Regent still rules a carefree England. No scripts. No written endings. A holiday no one else can offer you

I absolutely adore this book. ♥ It has quickly become one of my favorites. As a huge fan of Jane Austen (really a fan of the whole time period) and her work, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The whole premise totally captivated me from the first pages. A thirty-something single woman who's obsession with Mr. Darcy is ruining her life, gets an amazing gift: a wealthy relative leaves Jane a pre-paid vacation to visit a resort. But this isn't any ordinary resort. Oh, no. This is an Austen-themed English resort which caters to Austen-crazed women. It's here where Jane gets to live out all of her fantasies, and her dream of finding the perfect gentlemen, becomes even more realer than she could have ever imagined.

Honestly, I can completely relate to the main character and her obsession with all things Pride & Prejudice.. that's pretty sad, right? Just the thought of being whisked away to this dream land where I can meet my own Mr. Darcy? sighh.. completely makes my heart melt! I don't know what else to say except that I absolutely loved it. Such a fun read & a very cute story about a woman's obsession and journey to find the perfect man (in the form of Mr. Darcy). I look forward to reading more of Hale's work and I definitely recommend this one!

"Seriously, a thirty-something woman shouldn't be daydreaming about a fictional character in a two-hundred-year-old world to the point where it interfered with her very real and much more important life and relationships. Of course she shouldn't. "

1 comment:

Tia Maria said...

Hi Book Addict,

This boodk sounds great. I'm a real Jane Austen addict myself and I plan to read this when I go on vac next month.

Thanks for the tip.. bye