Monday, January 10, 2022

I hope your apple pie is freakin’ worth it.


I had such high hopes for this one but I was left so disappointed. 

Synopsis:

1932. After the Great War took both her beloved brother and her fiancé, Violet Speedwell has become a "surplus woman," one of a generation doomed to a life of spinsterhood after the war killed so many young men. Yet Violet cannot reconcile herself to a life spent caring for her grieving, embittered mother. After countless meals of boiled eggs and dry toast, she saves enough to move out of her mother's place and into the town of Winchester, home to one of England's grandest cathedrals. There, Violet is drawn into a society of broderers--women who embroider kneelers for the Cathedral, carrying on a centuries-long tradition of bringing comfort to worshippers. 

As with all of Tracy Chevalier's books, the writing was excellent. I just found the plot to be boring - particularly revolving around the embroidery and bell ringing. I could never warm up to the main character, Violet and the entire romance/love interest of the novel revolved around an affair which was super off-putting. Overall, super disappointed as I really thought this would be a book/plot I would enjoy.



No comments: