Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell

You live on a picturesque communal garden square, an oasis in urban London where your children run free, in and out of other people’s houses.You’ve known your neighbors for years and you trust them. Implicitly. You think your children are safe. But are they really?


I really enjoyed The Girls in the Garden. I decided to read this one after reading Lisa Jewell's novel, "Then She Was Gone" and it won't be the last book of hers I read. Thirteen-year-old, Grace, is found unconscious and undressed in the park's garden after a community party. The story goes back before the assault and is told through multiple point of views to uncover what happened. I especially enjoyed the setting of the story, set in the communal park and garden with all of the interesting characters weaved throughout. Definitely one of those books you don't want to put down. I will say though, the ending was a bit of a letdown with Grace. I found the buildup to be more thrilling than what actually happened. I was expecting more of a twist or finality, which didn't happen. Aside from the ending, The Girls in the Garden, was a great book and lived up to my expectations.

No comments: