Saturday, March 6, 2010

Love is an all-consuming affair...How do grown-ups fall in love and work at the same time?

Rooftops of Tehran - Mahbod Seraji
In a middle-class neighborhood of Iran's sprawling capital city, 17-year-old Pasha Shahed spends the summer of 1973 on his rooftop with his best friend Ahmed, joking around one minute and asking burning questions about life the next. He also hides a secret love for his beautiful neighbor Zari, who has been betrothed since birth to another man. But the bliss of Pasha and Zari's stolen time together is shattered when Pasha unwittingly acts as a beacon for the Shah's secret police. The violent consequences awaken him to the reality of living under a powerful despot, and lead Zari to make a shocking choice...

WOW! What an amazing story & debut novel by Mahbod Seraji. I absolutely love, love, LOVED this book! From the first few pages I was instantly immersed into the Persian culture and political backdrop of 1970s Iran. I felt like I was a part of the actual story, living right along with the characters in their Tehran alley.

The love story between Pasha and Zari was so mesmerizing, and so haunting - made all the more special by being a forbidden romance. I adored all of the quirky characters who grabbed my attention and heart right from the very beginning. Particularly, Ahmed, Pasha's best friend who was absolutely HIGH-larious! So many special and interesting people whose lives were touched with tragedy, yet continued to live on through love and hope.

I can't say enough about this story - it was funny, it was beautiful, it was heartbreaking. It has absolutely everything for everyone and I DEFINITELY recommend it to everyone. The ending was SO surprising and so wonderful, I was left feeling deliriously happy! Do not miss out on this book - it is amazing, and unforgettable.

"'She's the most beautiful woman on the planet,' I blurt out. 'She has blue eyes, a lovely chin and great cheekbones.'
I notice that she stops peeling for a few seconds, and fear that I've gone too far. After all, she's the only girl in our alley with blue eyes.
'She sounds great. Where does she live?' she asks, keeping her back to me.
'Close by,' I say, hesitantly.
'What do you like about her, besides her looks of course?' she continues, her tone a bit more serious.
'Everything,' I admit. 'She reminds me of snow, pure and clean; of rivers, calm and flowing; of rain, revitalizing and refreshing; of a mountain, strong and majestic; and of flowers, delicate and soft.'
Zari turns around and stares right at me with a puzzled but thoughtful, crooked smile." p. 55

No comments: