Saturday, February 20, 2010

But with its persistent beauty, Far surpasses and finally tames the flame

The Flame and the Flower - Kathleen Woodiwiss
Doomed to a life of unending toil, Heather Simmons fears for her innocence—until a shocking, desperate act forces her to flee... and to seek refuge in the arms of a virile and dangerous stranger. A lusty adventurer married to the sea, Captain Brandon Birmingham courts scorn and peril when he abducts the beautiful fugitive from the tumultuous London dockside. But no power on Earth can compel him to relinquish his exquisite prize. For he is determined to make the sapphire-eyed prize. For he is determined to make the sapphire-eyed lovely his woman...and to carry her off to far, uncharted realms of sensuous, passionate love.


As I’ve mentioned before I am a huge, HUGE fan of Historical Romance. I really have a love for all genres, but HR has a special place in my heart! I just love everything about it – the different time periods, the culture, the love stories, etc., etc. The Flame and The Flower is no exception to my obsession: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! It’s pretty incredible to think this is Kathleen Woodiwiss’s debut novel, the first book in her brilliant career and the first of her many amazing love stories!!

I absolutely love the plot and especially the romance/relationship between the two main characters, Brandon and Heather. Of course, I am completely in love with Brandon Birmingham. Okay, so yes, he’s somewhat of a pompous asshole…..but dealing with Heather who at times was VERY naive and clueless when it came to life & love, (and pretty much EVERYTHING else) I can’t really blame him. Maybe that’s what I actually liked about their relationship? That is the whole premise of the novel; the flower taming the flame. I just love how Brandon, president of the Mr. Arrogant club becomes totally smitten and whipped by sweet little innocent Heather. It’s quite amusing (and oh so romantic!) and such a classic tale!

A la “Shanna” & “The Reluctant Suitor” there are tons of twists & turns that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole story. Definitely one of those books that I had a hard time parting with at the end of the night. A totally captivating love story and I cannot wait to get my hands on “Elusive Flame” the second book in the Birmingham series!

No comments: